The United City of Yorkville follows the guidelines set forth by the United States Postal Service regarding mailbox placement and standards, including:
- The acceptable mailbox height is 42 inches, measured from the bottom of the mailbox to street surface.
- The front of the mailbox needs to be vertically aligned with the back of the curb.
- The front of the mailbox may not extend over the front of the curb and shall not be set back from the back of the curb.
The U.S. Postal Service Bulletin 21997 (5/06/99) has outlined the standards in its entirety.
The criteria for mailbox replacement is as follows:
- Mailbox must meet city standards for installation and material.
- Only mailboxes that are struck directly by a city vehicle or piece of equipment will be eligible for replacement.
- Damage caused by snow will not be eligible for replacement.
- Mailbox damage must be reported within 3 days of occurrence. Create an account and report damage here.
Mailbox Replacement Procedure
If your mailbox has been damaged during snow removal operations, please follow the procedure listed below:
- Resident must notify the Public Works department within 3 days of the occurrence. During this time, a temporary mailbox will be placed until a determination can be made as to whether or not the City is responsible. Follow this link to create an account and report mailbox damage.
- A Public Works representative will inspect the mailbox and make a determination as to whether or not the mailbox was properly installed, if the material was in good condition, and if the mailbox was struck by a City vehicle.
- If the determination is made that the City is responsible for replacement of the mailbox, the homeowner is eligible for reimbursement of up to $128.00 for materials to replace the mailbox. Reimbursement may be submitted to the City after the homeowner installs a new mailbox and it is inspected by a Public Works representative.
- If it is determined that the City is not responsible for the damage, it will be the homeowner's responsibility to replace the mailbox following city standards.
Alert the City and Public Works to snow-related concerns or requests not related to mailboxes. Sign in or create an account to submit the request form.