Medication & Home Health Care Disposal
Residents can help prevent injury, illness and pollution by following some simple steps when disposing of the sharp objects and contaminated materials used in administering home health care.
Special ContainersYou should place needles, syringes, lancets, and other sharp objects in a hard-plastic or metal container with a screw-on or tightly secured lid. Many containers found in the household will do, or you may purchase containers specifically designed for the disposal of medical waste sharps.
Using & Discarding a Container
- Before discarding a container, be sure to reinforce the lid with heavy-duty tape.
- Clearly mark any container used to dispose of sharps or medical items with "Not For Recycling."
- Do not put sharp objects in any container you plan to recycle or return to a store.
- Do not use glass or clear plastic containers.
- Make sure that you keep all containers with sharp objects out of reach of children and pets.