The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) provides programs around the state of Illinois to help citizens safely rid their homes of unwanted pesticides, paints, automotive fluids, and other household items that could pose a threat to our landfills, homes, or environment if disposed of in an unsafe manner.
To find out when a household hazardous waste collection will be coming to your area and which hazardous products are accepted, call 217-785-8604 or visit the IEPA website.
Long Term Collection Facilities
Both facilities are offered to all county residents. Only residential items will be accepted. Business, institutional, industrial or agricultural waste is not accepted. In addition the following items are not accepted:
- Biological or medical wastes
- Smoke detectors
- The Household Hazardous Waste Building is located at 156 Fort Hill Drive just north of the Public Works Service Center.
- This facility accepts household hazardous waste from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays only, excluding holidays.
- Products accepted at this facility include:
- Aerosol products
- CFLs (sealed, unbroken only)
- Drain openers
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Household cleaners
- Pool chemicals
- Solvents (no latex paint products)
- For additional information visit them online or call 630-420-6095.
- The Rock River Reclamation District is located at 3333 Kishwaukee St., Rockford.
- This facility accepts household hazardous waste from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Saturdays and from noon to 4 p.m. on Sundays.
- For directions and additional information regarding residential hazardous waste disposal, call 815-967-6737.
- For large loads, please call the Neighborhood Standards Office in Rockford to schedule a drop-off. They may be reached at 779-348-7425.
- For information and directions regarding commercial hazardous waste disposal, call 815-654-4726.