Building Permit Applications

COVID Notice

Due to concerns over COVID-19, please submit all permit applications, surveys, and plans via email.


You will be contacted when your permit is approved via phone or e-mail. Payment can be made over the phone with a credit card by calling 630-553-8545. Upon payment, permits will be e-mailed to you.

Inspections can be scheduled over the phone or via e-mail. 

All Inspections will be scheduled on a first come, first serve basis. All internal inspections for occupied residential homes shall be halted during this time. These inspections will be deferred to a later date.

Building Permit Types

Determine if you need to submit a building permit and which type you will need for your project. Click on the picture or title to view a PDF application that you may fill out and save or print. If you would like to e-mail your building permit to the department, please use the following address:


2018 International Building Code (IBC)

2018 International Residential Code (IRC)

2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC)

2018 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC)

2018 International Fire Code (IFC)

2017 NEC (National Electric Code)

2018 International Energy Code (IEC)

2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)

2018 Existing Building Code (EBC)

Illinois State Accessibility Code

2014 Illinois State Plumbing Code

Residential Permit Application

Residential Permit Application

A residential permit is required when you will be adding or altering anything structural, electrical, mechanical (HVAC), or plumbing related to your residential property.  Please click on the following links to obtain more information about each type of project:

Commercial Permit Application Opens in new window

Commercial Permit Application

A commercial permit is required when you will be adding or altering anything structural, electrical, mechanical (HVAC), or plumbing related to your commercial property.  If the project will include plumbing and/or roofing, a copy of a certified Illinois State License is required.

Fence Permit Application

Fence Permit Application

A fence permit is required when you will be installing or altering a fence on your property.  You may build a fence up to or on your property line.  If you are building within a utility easement, you will need to fill out a Release & Hold Harmless Agreement and have it notarized (some City staff members are notaries).  Please see the information below for more details:

Fences Permit Information

Release & Hold Harmless Agreement

Fence Zoning Regulations

Sign Permit Application

Sign Permit Application

A sign permit is required when you will be installing or altering any sign on your property.  This includes any permanent or temporary sign.  Temporary signs include but are not limited to banners, feather signs, cold air inflatable devices, searchlights, sandwich boards, and marketing signs.  Please see the information below for more details:

Sign Zoning Regulations

Commercial Occupancy Permit Application

Commercial Occupancy Permit Application

A commercial occupancy permit is required when you are a new business moving into an existing commercial space or alter your existing businesses operations which changes your land use.  If you are submitting a commercial permit application to construct or alter a structure, then a commercial occupancy permit application does not need to be submitted.

Apiary Permit Application

Apiary Registration Application

An apiary registration application is required when you are starting an accessory beekeeping use on your residential property.  If you plan on maintaining colonies or hives on your property, please see the information below for more details:

Beekeeping Building Regulations

Infrastructure Tap On Application

Infrastructure Tap On Permit Application

An infrastructure tap on application is needed if you are currently on a well water system or septic system and would like to connect to City services.

Fire Protection Application

Fire Protection Application

A fire protection application is required when you are installing a fire alarm system, sprinkler system, cooking suppression system or any other type of fire suppression system.

Commercial Development Packet Opens in new window

Commercial Development Packet

This packet provides sample templates and forms for developing a new commercial or industrial business.  It includes fee calculation sheets, sample bond forms, and several applications which will need to be submitted before construction can begin.

Parklet Packet

Sidewalk Cafe/Parklet Application Packet

This packet details the regulations and parameters for installing a sidewalk cafe or parklet on public property.  It outlines the application procedure, location requirements, design guidelines, and timeline for the operation of one of these uses.