he United City of Yorkville is dedicated to preserving water and follows a Water Conservation Ordinance (PDF) that is in effect from May 1 through September 30. Sod watering permits are available here.
Please note: there is no discount for sod watering.
Lawn Sprinkling Permitted Times
The ordinance permits lawn sprinkling between the hours of 5 and 9 a.m. and/or 9 p.m. and midnight for landscaping watering or the filling of swimming pools only as follows:
- Even-numbered addresses on even-numbered calendar days only during permitted hours of water use
- Odd-numbered addresses on odd-numbered calendar days only during permitted hours of water use
Unrestricted Water Use
The following is not restricted as to the hours or days when water may be used:
- Landscape watering or sprinkling done by the use of a hand-held watering device
- The filling of swimming pools with a volume of 50 gallons or less of water
- The automatic watering of trees and shrubs by means of automatic root-feed or drip-irrigation systems within the drip line of the tree or shrub
- Vehicle and equipment washing
- Any other lawful use of water and other normal household uses not otherwise specifically restricted by the provisions of the ordinance
Planting New Seed or Sod
The laying of new lawns or landscaping is not permitted between Jul 1 - August 31. Prior to sod laying or lawn seeding, residents must obtain a Sod Watering Permit (PDF) from the United City of Yorkville and submit it to the permit department via email at email@example.com. Sod laying, lawn seeding, and the planting of other landscaping for the establishment of a new lawn or new landscaping is prohibited from July 1st through August 31st of each year, unless the source of water is derived from a private well, imported water or means other than any municipal water source. Please note, there is no discount for sod watering.
Months for Installing New Lawns
To conserve water during the hottest summer months (July and August), residents are prohibited from installing new lawns during these months. If your new lawn is not installed before July 1, you must wait until September.