Kendall Area Transit (KAT)
KAT services all of Kendall County and designated locations outside the county. One leg of the trip must begin or end in Kendall County.
Who Can Ride the Bus
Service is available to Kendall County residents. This is a general public transportation service with a priority for the disabled individuals and seniors. KAT is committed to offering courteous, safe, and reliable service for all of our riders, without regard to race, gender, age, or disability.
The 1-way fare for the KAT demand response service is $3 curb-to-curb. For destinations outside of the county, an additional $2 fee will apply. Seniors (60 years of age and older) receive a $1 discount on all fares.
Fares can be handled in 1 of 2 ways:
- Through KAT directly - When paying driver directly fares must be paid in exact change at the time of each individual pickup. Drivers do not carry change
- Through one of KAT's sponsor agencies
Registering for Service
In order to participate in the Kendall Area Transit Program, you must be a registered rider that resides in Kendall County. To find out more about how to become a registered rider contact Kendall Area Transit at 1-877-IGO-4KAT (1-877-446-4528).
How to Schedule a Ride
After you become a registered rider, you can schedule a ride by calling 1-877-IGO-4KAT.
- General trips can be reserved no more than 6 days and no less than 2 days in advance.
- Medical trips may be scheduled up to 2 weeks in but no less than 2 days in advance.
KAT provides curb-to-curb and door-to-door pick-up services as follows:
- Curb-to-curb: Drivers will provide assistance from the curb in front of the trip origin to the curb in front of the trip destination.
- Door-to-door: Drivers will assist riders with mobility issues from their door to the bus and from the bus to the door of the designated location.
Children riding the KAT system must be transported in an infant or toddler seat, (those 3 years of age or younger and children between the ages of 4 - 8 weighing less than 40 pounds). Please check with the dispatcher regarding the infant and toddler seat requirements. Passengers are responsible for providing their own child seats.
KAT operators are trained to take a wheelchair up or down 1 step by themselves. When a rider's needs are beyond the responsibility of the driver, a travel assistant is required. A travel assistant may ride at no charge.
Questions, Comments, or Concerns
Your input is important. If you have a question, comment, concern or suggestion regarding KAT services, contact 1-877-IGO-4KAT. Safety, courtesy and on-time performance is important. Please call KAT if any of these expectations have not been met.
More Information & Resources
Check out the following for more information on the Kendall Area Transit system.