Does Yorkville have train horn quiet zones?

At this time there is no plan to establish train horn quiet zones within the City. The Federal Railroad Administration - Department of Transportation (FRA) enforces federal requirements regarding the use of train horns at public crossings. The FRA required pattern for blowing the horn is two (2) long, one (1) short, and one (1) long sounding horn, repeated as necessary until the locomotive clears the crossing. Establishing quiet zones not only creates a public safety risk but also is a burden to taxpayers to renovate crossings to meet the strict standards for quiet zones and maintain them.

For more information regarding FRA regulations and train horn quiet zone costs please download the FRA Guide to Quiet Zones PDF here.

Show All Answers

1. Who is responsible for reseeding after parkway tree removal?
2. Where can I find information about getting my parkway tree removed/replaced?
3. Why was my parkway tree trimmed?
4. When is the next large brush pick-up?
5. Why is leaf pick-up so early in the season?
6. Who is responsible for water basin/retention pond maintenance?
7. Does the City provide mosquito control?
8. How do I find out if my street is on the Road to Better Roads list for repairs this year?
9. How do I submit a claim to the City for damage to my vehicle as a result of hitting a pothole?
10. Does Yorkville have train horn quiet zones?
11. Does Public Works rent meters to hook up to fire hydrants?
12. What is the order in which streets will be plowed after snowfall?
13. Is there a time limit to reporting mailbox damage as a result of a plow truck striking my mailbox?
14. Mailbox reimbursement due to snow plow damage is set at $125.00, can I appeal for a higher reimbursement?