Home > Services > Mailbox Standards and Replacement Policy
Mailbox Standards and Replacement Policy
The United City of Yorkville follows the guidelines set forth by the United State Postal Service regarding mailbox placement and
standards. The acceptable mailbox height is 42", measured from the bottom of the mailbox to street surface. The front of the mailbox needs to be vertically aligned with the back of the curb. In addition, the front of the mailbox may not extend over the front of the curb and shall not be set back from the back of the curb. The U.S. Postal Service Bulletin 21997 (5/06/99) has outlined the standards in its
The criteria for mailbox replacement is as follows:
- Mailbox must meet city standards for installation and material.
- Only mailboxes that are struck directly by a city vehicle or piece of equipment will be eligible for replacement. Damage caused by
snow will not be eligible for replacement.
Mailbox replacement procedure
In order for your mailbox to be replaced, please follow the procedure listed below:
- Resident must notify the Public Works department within three (3) days
of the occurrence. During this time, a temporary mailbox will be placed
until a determination can be made as to whether or not the city is
- A Public Works representative will inspect the mailbox and made a
determination as to whether or not the mailbox was property installed,
the material was in good condition, and if it was struck by a city vehicle.
- If the determination is made that the city is responsible for replacement of
the mailbox, the homeowner is eligible for reimbursement of up to $75 for
material to replace the mailbox. Reimbursement may be submitted to the
City after the homeowner installs a new mailbox and it is inspected by a
Public Works representative.
- If it is determined that the city is not responsible for the damage, it will be
the homeowner's responsibility to replace the mailbox following city