Home > City Government > Mayor's Office
From the office of Mayor Gary J. Golinski...
On behalf of the United City of Yorkville I would like to extend a personal welcome and take a moment to highlight some of the opportunities and benefits that our great city has to offer. Yorkville has small town charm, top-notch parks, great recreational facilities, a growing business community, and strong hometown pride. Rich in history and heritage, we are proud of our past and look forward to a bright future.
Yorkville is an exciting place to live, work and play. Here are some of the many highlights of our city:
- The Marge Cline Whitewater Course, built by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, is now open at Bicentennial Riverfront Park. You can enjoy the river from the shore or by renting a canoe, kayak or tube and paddling your way down the chute. Be sure to stop at the park for lunch!
- Raging Waves Water Park, located on the north side of town, is Illinois’ largest waterpark! Voted the best of Chicago Water Parks in 2010, the facility is complete with a wave pool, multiple children’s areas, 17 slides and a lazy river for those hot summer days. Yorkville residents receive a special rate on season passes.
- Yorkville is a Playful City, a title we have held for the past 4 years! Recognized nationally for our commitment to kids and healthy play. Our Parks and Recreation Department provides imaginative opportunities through our themed playgrounds. Visit one of our over 30 parks to experience play in a new way!
- The REC Center is a 38,000 square foot full service fitness and recreation facility operated by the Parks and Recreation Department. It houses an indoor track, lap pool, whirlpool, open gym, and cardio and resistance equipment as well as exercise classes.
- Yorkville is home to Community Unit School District #115. Congratulations to the Girls Cross Country 2011 2A State Champions!
- In 2009 Yorkville received the Governor’s Hometown Award which recognizes that volunteers help make this community a place people want to live and play.
- As the City’s population continues to grow, Yorkville is planning transportation alternatives for the future. The Integrated Transportation Plan, approved in 2009, outlines the vision of shared-use paths throughout our community.
- Large commercial and local businesses provide many services and numerous places to shop. Kendall Marketplace located on Route 34 is home to Target, Home Depot, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Maurice’s, Kohl’s, Marshall’s, PetSmart, and much more! Visit the Yorkville Economic Development Corporation’s website at www.yedconline.org to find Yorkville businesses and get a direct link to their website.
- Rush-Copley Medical Center is open and will soon have a 24 hour emergency center on site.
- For the enjoyment of our residents we hold a variety of events throughout the year including Music Under the Stars, Movies in the Park, Holiday Under the Stars, and our annual Hometown Days Festival held on Labor Day weekend. Mark your calendars for all of these family-friendly events!
Our community is excited and eager to share all that Yorkville has to offer. Whether you’re looking for a community to raise your family, enjoy an active retirement or just a great place to spend a weekend, Yorkville has something for everyone. Please contact my office directly if the staff or I can be of service.
Mayor Gary J. Golinski