Search Our Site!

Home > Services > Animal Control
City Services

Animal Control

Here is a list of common animal ordinances enforced by the Police Department. For a complete list of City Ordinances, please use this link to the City Code Book.


Collar & Tags (Ord. 2003-14, Sec. 5-2-4)
Disturbing the Peace (Ord. 2003-14, Sec. 5-2-6)
Dog/Animal Waste (Ord. 2003-14, Sec. 5-2-8)
Fierce Dogs (Ord. 2003-14, Sec. 5-2-9)
Impound/Redemption Procedures (Ord. 2003-14, Sec. 5-2-10)
Rabies Inoculation (Ord. 2003-14, Sec. 5-2-3)
Running at Large (Ord. 2003-14, Sec. 5-2-5)
Resisting/Interfering w/ Officers (Ord. 2003-14, Sec. 5-2-7)


Per Sec. 10-2-3: Any lot or premises or portion thereof on which more than four (4) dogs, cats, and other household domestic animals, over four (4) months of age, are kept for sale, or on which more than two (2) such animals are boarded for compensation constitutes the appropriate zoning for "Kennel, Commercial".

The United City of Yorkville's dog ordinance states that dogs must be restrained/confined at all times. All dogs must have a collar or harness with an appropriate tag containing the owner's information.

Any dog found upon a public street, sidewalk, alley or an unenclosed place, shall be deemed running at large unless the dog is firmly held on a leash or is in an enclosed vehicle. Dog owners need to remember to clean up after animal(s).

It is unlawful (and discourteous) for dog owners to allow a dog to defecate on private property, without permission of the property owners, or on any public street, sidewalk or in a city park without properly disposing waste in a trash receptacle.


If you are having a problems with a barking dog(s) in your neighborhood, it should be addressed as the same. Residents should contact their Neighborhood Watch block captain and express concerns in a non-emotional but assertive manner. This issue should then be brought up at the next block meeting. The Police Department can also be contacted and have a representative at your meeting to help explain the ordinance and state laws regarding your concerns. Your first step is to approach this problem as a neighborhood, not as an individual.